Namibia

The Republic of Namibia is located in Southern Africa between Angola and South Africa and borders the South Atlantic Ocean. The capital, Windhoek, is the largest city in Namibia and is located in the Khomas region. With a population of 2,165,828 people the predominant language spoken is Afrikaans (60%) then German (32%) followed by the official language English (7%). About 80 % to 90 % of the population of Namibia is of the Christian faith. The remaining 10%-20% practice Indigenous Beliefs. The Namibian economy relies heavy on the processing and extraction of mineral for export. As mining makes up 8% of a GDP (PPP) that is measured at $15.5 billion. The GDP per capita of Namibia stands at $7,300 which is considerably higher than other African nations. Though despite a relatively high GDP per capita, over 55% of the population live below the poverty line and over 51% of the people are unemployed.

Namibia’s political history began in the late 19th century when the present day boundaries of Namibia were created by the European powers at the Berlin Conference, and South West Africa (Namibia) was declared as a German protectorate. Following the outbreak of WWI in 1914, South Africa invaded and captured South West Africa and was awarded the rights to administer under the covenant of the League of Nations. It was not until the late 1950’s-1960 when Namibians began resisting South African administration and governance. In 1966 The South-West Africa People’s Organization (SWAPO), led by Samuel Nujoma began the fight for Independence. Twenty two years later due to majority resistance and international pressure South Africa finally ended their administration in Namibia. In 1990 Namibia officially declared independence and Samuel Nujoma leader of SWAPO was elected as the 1st President of Namibia. In 2004, Hifikepunye Pohamba, also of SWAPO defeated Samuel Nujoma in the Presidential elections. Hifikepunye Pohamaba would be reelected in 2009 in a landslide victory.

Today, Namibia is a country that prides itself on the stark beauty of its deserts and coastline. It is one of the few countries that specifically address conservation and protection of natural resources in its constitution. This has led to over 14% of land of Namibia being classified as conservation.

The Flag of Namibia was adopted in March of 1990. The golden sun in the upper left hand corner represents life and energy. The color red refers to Namibia’s most important resource, the people. It pays homage to their heroism and determination to build a future of equal opportunity for all. The color white symbolizes peace and unity. The color green refers to Namibia’s vegetation and natural resources. The color blue represents the clear Namibian sky and the Atlantic Ocean.

President Hifikepunye Pohamba

The Skeleton Coast of Namibia

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/wa.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s